As of May 22nd, 2020, we are excited to announce that vacation rentals on Sanibel Island may resume! As we hope you already know, the safety and well-being of everyone who books with us is always our top priority, and the City, County and State have enacted some policies to ensure your safety also. We are excited to be able to provide safe accommodations, and we know many people are ready for some rest and relaxation here on the Island! Please be aware that at Select Vacation Properties we are actively monitoring the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak, and we will continue to take appropriate steps to help keep our guests, staff and community safe. This page will be updated frequently, but be aware that the situation is fluid. For the most current information, please visit the CDC website or the Florida Department of Health, both of which are being updated daily or more. The Causeway beaches are re-opened as well as Bowman’s Beach and Blind Pass Beach, and city-owned parking lots will re-open June 1st. Also, any guest occupying a condo, home or resort may use the beach in front of said property. The City is following the Governors Phase 1 order allowing restaurants and retail stores to open at 25% capacity. Outdoor dining is allowed. There remains no capacity limit with regards to outdoor dining just as long as tables are 6 feet apart. Some restaurants may decide to remain closed for dining in, but many are offering carryout or delivery services. Additional safety guidelines have been instituted at some resort pools, public spaces and common areas including measures to encourage social distancing, and this can change from day to day at the discretion of the appropriate associations. The City Council has also strongly encouraged the wearing of face masks by all employees of public accommodations & members of the public who cannot properly socially distance. As of May 22nd, there have been no new cases of Coronavirus on the Island, with the few prior cases occurring prior to April 8th. We want the traveling public to remain vigilant, and to continue taking protective actions concurrent with the most up-to-date advisories. Older adults and people of any age with serious chronic medical conditions (the populations most at risk) should postpone nonessential travel. If you do decide to travel, be sure to take steps to help prevent getting and spreading COVID-19 and other respiratory diseases during travel. For the most up-to-date COVID-19 travel information, visit the CDC COVID-19 Travel page.
As we all adjust to this situation, we want to let you know about a few important things we are doing to be proactive:
1. Ensuring our staff and workplace is safe
- We are actively monitoring the health and wellness of all employees and third-party providers who work with us at Select Vacation Properties, and flexible leave policies are in place to allow employees who are sick or who have family members who are sick to stay at home.
- All our employees are following CDC recommended healthy practices and hand washing and anti-viral measures.
While the CDC is not recommending additional disinfection routines at this time, we are going a step beyond and conducting frequent cleaning and disinfecting of all surfaces.
2. Working with our local health authorities
- We have communicated directly with the Lee County Department of Health and have someone available 24/7 to respond to and work with public health authorities.
- We are also constantly monitoring the interim guidance from the CDC to follow all recommendations, and make sure we are acting in a responsible manner consistent with science-based medical advice.
3. Keeping our accommodations safe
- We will continue working with our cleaning providers and other service personnel to adhere to our policy of “enhanced cleaning” for all of our units as long as there is an elevated risk. This includes additional disinfectant measures, education, training, and other preventative measures.
- We are asking you as guests to observe recommended Florida Department of Health General Prevention guidelines whether at home, traveling or staying on the Island. You can find these guidelines by following this link.
4. Sharing advice to stay healthy
- We want to remind everyone to follow guidance from your local public health authorities. If you’re sick, stay home and do not travel, and stay away from others.
- Wash your hands frequently, and cover your cough or sneeze. For more information, visit the World Health Organization website or the CDC website.
5. If you already have a reservation with us
- We always recommend purchasing the optional travel insurance exactly for unforeseen events such as this, which may cover reimbursement of the accommodations booked through us under certain circumstances. If you have not made your final payment yet, you can still purchase the insurance at that time. Coverage and cancellations are a function of the insurance underwriters and not Select Vacation Properties, so we recommend speaking to a representative of the insurance company to get a comprehensive explanation of benefits and exclusions.
- We also recommend you do some due diligence and look into other options through your own providers such as “cancel for any reason” policies, or policies which cover flights and more.
- For guest whose reservations are not immediately affected by a travel ban, arrival moratorium, but opted not to purchase travel insurance, but want to cancel out of fear or concern of exposure, you can find our normal cancellation policy on our website or in your reservation confirmation. We understand the unprecedented nature of this situation, and should you decide to cancel the reservation, please know that we will do everything possible to rebook your cancelled time. Should we rebook the property, we will process a refund based on the rebooked reservation rent collected.
- For guests who are experiencing a travel ban, or are unable to travel, but do not want to cancel outright, we are offering the option to change your dates of stay to any available period between now and December 5th. This temporary policy requires you reschedule at the same property and is subject to availability. In all cases, the terms, policy, rates and cancellation policy are effective as of the initial dates of stay, not the revised dates.
- We want everyone to know that we are all in this together, and we will do everything in our power to reach a fair and equitable resolution regarding your vacation plans. While we are a small business, we are also people like you. People with families, kids, in some cases older parents, and we share the same anxiety and concerns, so we understand what you are going through and we are here to help.
On Behalf of all of us at Select Vacation Properties, thank you for doing your part to help keep our communities safe, and we look forward to seeing you happy and healthy on Sanibel Island. If you have additional questions, feel free to contact us anytime!